Friday, March 2, 2012

"Gone" big writing


"me and my friends are going out on our bikes ok, ok?" I asked as I walked out the door. "sure, make sure to wear your helmet though" my dad replied, I shook my head in response. I didn't like my helmet, it looked stupid stuck over my greasy black hair. I grabbed my bike, lifted it down onto the lawn and rid down the street. by the time I was half way to franks house he had already heard my un-oiled bike coming and stood in his lawn. "whats up john" he yelled at me from the sidewalk. "wheres your bike frank, I thought we were biking today?" "my dads fixing the brake, its ok thought, this way I can carry the soccer ball" he said in reply.  he walked aside my bike up the road until we reached Veronica and Hayley's house. I knocked hard on their glass door so they Hayley could hear me upstairs. but instead of Haley, Veronica came stomping down the stairs. you could tell she was goth, her overuse of black eyeliner was evident. at the sight of us she screamed upstairs to her sister. "get down here doofis, you stupid friends are here" veronica said blandly. the thumping of footsteps got louder. Hayley jumped to the ground from a few steps up and grabbed an apple from the table and tossed the door open. "hey guys, where are we going?" she asked as she walked down the patio. "I don't know, why don't we bike through the burnt forest" the burnt forest was a pine forest with no brush whatsoever, and because of that it was easy to bike through. "Ok" they both said in reply.

The burnt forest was bright with light shining through the leaves. they rode their bikes quickly through the forest with frank jogging along side. although frank didn't have a bike he was still fast.
Hayley and me swerved around a burnt log, Frank show off-ingly vaulted over it. "Nice huh" frank chuckled as he glared his white teeth at me "it would be better if you cou...." "watch out John" Hayley screamed "huh?" i managed to get out before i hit the log.

"unnngggg", i managed to open my eyelid only to see Frank and Hayley staring at me. I pushed myself up on my elbows and opened up my eyes. "ung, what happened?" you hit a log and you flew off your bike into a bush" she said softly. i stood up and looked around, we were in a large circle of bushes. the bushes were tall like hedges so i couldn't see over them. "well, lets go" I growled. "where? we're lost, and besides, your bike is broken" frank said in reply. I looked over at my bike only to see that my handlebars were twisted and my gears were cracked. "well lets walk then" I said as I charged the bush. ppppiffff, i ran straight through the bush and landed on the ground. I got up and heard the others land on the ground behind me. "how do we know where to go?" "hhmm? ah ha! i saw this show called "crazy survivor man" and he said to follow the clouds or something like that, so lets try that" "ok" said frank as we started to walk. soon enough we reached a cement path that looked slightly like a sidewalk. "lets follow it" Hayley said. everyone agreed. eventualy we reached a thick wall of trees. "how do we get through" Frank asked. "i'm not sure, lets try to find a hole". when we finally reached a hole we started to crawled through. "oh my gosh!" Hayley yelled when she reached the other side. "what?" "come see for yourself" she replyed. me and Frank crawled through. all of us gasped in surprise. ahead of us, an entire neighborhood lay.... abandoned.

 "Holy cow!" i exclaimed in a less than quiet voice. I was about to cover my mouth but then i remembered that there was no one here. As if by agreement we all walked towards the first building. It was unpainted for the most part and only half of the roof was there, but it did have a floor. As we got closer to the small two story building the air smelled more and more like treated wood and sawdust. The building seemed to be a house, although it was hard to tell due to its current state of incompletion. We got up to the porch of the building and stepped up on to it. Te house seemed to be lacking and plumbing or electrical wiring, it was just a big skeleton. "Why is this here" asked Hayley in a whisper. Of course we have all asked ourself that question but none of us know the answer. "I'm not sure, but there obviously hasn't been anyone here in a while" Frank replied. "I've seen neighborhoods that people don't live in yet, but never a completely abandoned one" I shouted to the roof. Although the first storie's floor was complete, I couldn't say the same for the second. Although there was no light sources in the house, light shined in from the holes in the roof through the second story floor. "Why did they stop?" asked Hayley blandly. "stop what?" I replied. "Stop building, why did they stop building?". "Budget cuts" Frank said interrupting. "If it was budget cuts then why are there still dumpsters here" said Hayley sarcastically. "Let me see" said Franks as he sprinted across the room. "hmmm, that is weird". "Lets go outside and see what else is here" I said, but i was already out the door. I walked over to what seemed to be a fenced in field of grass, but when I got closer I realized that it was actually a large pond covered in thick green algae. I picked up a pinecone on the ground and chunked it into the pond, all the algae around where the pinecone hit floated away to reveal dark brown mucky water underneath. I turned around to discover that Hayley and Frank were standing close behind me looking at the pond. "Its getting dark, we should go" said Hayley worriedly. "Ya, I think you're right". "Do we have to go" said Frank disappointed.





No comments:

Post a Comment